Monday 31 August 2009

Pukkelpop 2009

Just a little over a week ago, I returned from three great days at the Pukkelpop festival. A small recap with some pictures of my favourite acts and the amazing people I shared these days with.

Day 1 - I saw: The Maccabees, Baddies, The Twang, James Yuill, Shantel & Bucovina Orkestar, Paolo Nutini, The Big Pink, Maxïmo Park, Dizzee Rascal, Soap&Skin, La Roux, Andrew Bird, Freaky Age (yes, Filip), Ladyhawke, Faith No More, My Bloody Valentine.

The Big Pink: a very nice discovery. Ministry meets Stone Roses. Lots of potential!

Maxïmo Park and the ever excentric Paul Smith. Andrew Bird: really good, despite the leaking Chapiteau tent. Chearing for my mates from Freaky Age.Faith No More: too good to be true, even though I expected very little from this gig.
Day 2 - I saw: Das Pop, Metric, Alberta Cross, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Chapman Family, The Airborne Toxic Event, Air Traffic, Glasvegas, Patrick Wolf, Snow Patrol, The Black Box Revelation, Placebo, Blood Red Shoes (from a distance), Kraftwerk.

My sister came over for one day.

This Australian bloke called Bert proposed to me in a drunk haze and - polite as I am - I said yes. So...meet my fiancé...technically. ;)
Discovery of the year: The Chapman Family. You find some of their music a few posts back. Definitely give them a listen, although it's their terrific live performance that should really win you over.

The Airborne Toxic Event.
Glasvegas: superb! (and my ultimate sing-along moment)
Patrick Wolf.

Kraftwerk, legends.

Day 3 - I saw: Telepathe, The Temper Trap, The Rifles, Jack Penate, Absynthe Minded, Enter Shikari, The Whitest Boy Alive, Mad Caddies, Klaxons, Arctic Monkeys.
The Temper Trap, glorious gig.

The Rifles, always good to see them again. Indie poprock like it should be.
Meeting up in the press area with Rob, bass player from The Rifles. We catched up over some beers, good to see him again!


Met some weird folks at the festival, as usual.

Filip.
Jim and Bart, falling in love.

7 comments:

  1. Great photos! Have you ever heard of Davy Knowles and the Back Door Slam? They opened for Chickenfoot last week and I knew nothing of them, but I loved their music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jessica: no I haven't, but I'll definitely check them out this weekend! thanks for the advice!

    @Kristof: thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith No More, not expecting much? Just saw them in Dublin recently and they rocked the joint, I'm pretty sure the city is still shaking.

    Caught Telepathe @ Oxegen in Ireland earlier in the Summer, they were pretty cool but we were waiting on Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails who were both awesome and made up for an incredibly muddy experience.

    Pukkelpop looks like it gets decent weather, I'm going to check out a European festival one of these days but want decent weather... Might throw it in the mix with Roskilde now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I've seen them play, I can't believe I ever wasn't expecting much from Faith No More. They were amazing!

    Even though it can easily be rainy in Belgium around the time of Pukkelpop, we often/even mostly get lucky. We had one big shower this year, but it never got too muddy (that's a good thing about Belgian festivals in general, I think). Oxygen is on my go-to list, btw! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, go to Electric Picnic, the line up is generally far cooler and the crowd are slightly more mature, hipster / beard strokin'... I know you're only a nipper but I sense your continental ways might be a tad more suited to the Picnic...

    FNM are one of the best bands of all time and a particular highlight of my youth... Just waiting on a Soundgarden reunion myself...

    ReplyDelete