Sunday 7 June 2009

Roland Garros week 2


I could write a complete report on the highlights of the second week at Roland Garros, but I won't. I know there are some people I should do more justice (Del Potro, Söderling, Gonzalez...) but I can't deny there's only one thing I really want to say right now: ROGER FEDERER HAS WON ROLAND GARROS! This is such a beautiful moment in sports history. Roger now won his first Roland Garros, his "career slam" (which means he's already won each grand slam at least once) and he equalled Pete Sampras's record of 14 (!!!) grand slams!

He managed to do this by beating Robin Söderling (the "Nadal-slayer" but also the unexpected killer of Davydenko and Gonzalez) in straight sets. Söderling fought bravely, but Federer played his best matched of the tournament and let's be honest, nobody knows how to handle Roger when he uses his best tennis. We all know what Roger is capable of, but the big question was if he would be able to cope with the stress now there was so much at stake. That didn't seem a problem at all, though, and so the Swiss managed to finally get what he deserves more than anyone. He was crying from happiness when he scored the deciding point, and I was crying along as I was so happy for him. I can't wait to see what happens now. I think this victory will take away a lot of stress for Roger, which should be a really good thing for his play.

Well done, Rog!


2 comments:

  1. YAY ROGGER!!!!!!!!!
    tennis is pretty bomb awsome!
    and people who are bomb awsome at a bomb awsome thing are even more bomb awsome!

    ReplyDelete